TCHS participated in a Federal Service Grant Program called M.A.P (Museum Assessment Program). We have had our peer review and have been accepted into the C.A.P (Conservation Assessment Program).
In 2009, the museum agreed with Tipton County Circuit Court to clean, preserve, and store the county court records (probate, civil, common pleas and marriage applications) dating from 1844 to the early 1950s. The Tipton County Historical Society feels the preservation of these records to be invaluable to the residents of Tipton County and others for the genealogical and historical information that can be gleaned from them. This has also relieved some of the storage issues in the courthouse.
We began in 2011 to remove records from their original envelopes, flattened, cleaned, and placed them in archival safe folders. Folders are then placed in our climate-controlled storage room. This information can now be easily accessed and viewed by the people who are interested in their past. For a small fee, copies of records will be provided.
Presently, we have stored and recorded more than 35,000 records. This process has been completed by our loyal volunteers who have donated thousands of hours of their personal time. The county has provided a yearly stipend of $3,500 to cover the cost of archival folders and archival storage containers.
Preservation of Tipton County's history is the primary goal of the society. Our facility was constructed in 2000 and we are
continually analyzing opportunities for expansion to increase the value we offer. These needs were addressed in the Conservation Assessment Program, which was conducted in 2012.
Our operating funds are limited to membership dues, individual donations, county support of the courthouse displays and interest from our endowment, and a designated endowment at the Tipton County Foundation. We feel this grant opportunity would only better the museum's progress in meeting the standards of becoming a first-class facility.